FEATURE STORY EXPERIENCE

12:27 PM


FEATURE STORY EXPERIENCE

This quarter in video production we filmed and edited a feature story video. I chose to create my video over the Electrathon team at Olathe Northwest. Once I created my video I wrote my first feature story. I have only really created videos before and it was a new experience to write a story

The first part in writing my feature story was creating a narrative lead. In the narrative lead I had to describe what was happening in the video with lots of detail. The purpose of the narrative lead is to draw the reader in and create a more interesting opening. The next part of a written feature story is describing the topic. Since I chose the Electrathon I gave background information on this topic and described what the team does. After introducing the club I described who I chose to interview and why.

In the feature story I used quotations from my interview to describe what the video was about. It's important to put the quotations in a new paragraph and saying who said it after the quote.

The final part of the feature story was creating a narrative ending. The narrative ending basically summarizes the purpose of the video and describes it more visually.

Altogether writing about a feature story was an interesting new experience. It was a little difficult to write the narrative lead but describing the content was pretty easy. I'm excited to continue and create feature stories throughout the semester and develop my skills in filming, editing, and writing.

FILMING EXPERIENCE

For my feature story I interviewed Laurie Gilson a senior on the Electrathon team. The Electrathon is a club that students apply to be a part of in the engineering academy. This club is not very well known and doesn't have that many female members. In todays society not many women want to get involved in STEM fields. I chose to interview Laurie to explain what her roll is on the team and that engineering is something that everyone can get involved in and that its not just or boys.

Laurie did an amazing job at answering the questions I asked but unfortunately I couldn't fit all of the information into the minute and a half limit. I had to shorten several responses but ultimately I believe my video ended up good. Having a female perspective on the Electrathon team really helped with the story. Interviewing Mr. Edmondson also worked out well because it showed how teachers are trying to get more woman involved and that its something that definitely needs more outreach.

Creating the script was pretty easy because Laurie did a good job in answering my questions in complete sentences. I also learned to film the voice over in several different clips for each section that needed a voiceover so that putting the video together would be easier. I was easily able to import the voice over and trim it to fit in perfectly with the rest of the video.

Shooting my video was a little bit difficult. It was hard to find time to come into the electrathon class and shoot. The first time I went into film the students were working on presentations and I couldn't get any footage of them actually working with the car. I came in to film another time and Mr. Edmondson was very nice about getting the students to work on the car for me and get some b-roll that I could use. For the actual interview footage I wish that I had filmed it in a more quite workspace and in a better location. I was pretty rushed on time and if I was to film it again I would go to a desk or classroom.

What I like about my finished video is that its about a topic that isn't very well known in the school. Lots of students know about the football team or the theater department but very few know about the activities that go on in the engineering academy. I have been around the engineering academy for a while with my dad but in the process of filming this video I learned new information about what actualy goes on with the electrathon team. I also think that having my video about woman getting involved in engineering is important. Most people don't want to get involved in engineering because its seen as a "guy" carrier. Its important to encourage other woman to try engineering and the best way to do that is by woman encouraging other woman.

MY FAVORITE 

After filming and writing a feature story I enjoyed filming and editing the video more. I don't enjoy writing that much but it was still an interesting experience to learn how to write a correct feature story. I really enjoy being able to use my creativity to show a story in a video. It is way more interesting for me to be able to interact with the person I am interviewing and to film where they are working. Altogether, I enjoyed filming the video feature story more. 

WATCH MY VIDEO



WRITTEN FEATURE STORY

The metals shop is filled with the loud rumble of the saws and drills along with the subtle clinking of nuts and bolts hitting the hard cement flooring. Students gather around an electric car replacing parts with shiny new ones, concentrating hard to make sure the car will function properly when they are all done. 
The Electrathon gives students the opportunity to use their understanding of mechanics to create an electric car to compete in races throughout Kansas. The Electrathon is just one of the many ways students in the Engineering academy can get involved in their program and school. Even though the Electrathon has been a club for a while it is not very well known. 
Laurie Gilson, a senior at Olathe Northwest, has been apart of the team for three years.  Over the years, Laurie has learned several skills that she can use throughout life. 
“To take what I have learned from Electrathon and apply it to life is very easy. On electrathon I wanted to redesign the steering system, but I didn’t know how to do it so I figured it out. You know I don't know how to do it so I must find the answer,” Gilson said.
 The Electrathon teaches students basic skills needed to build cars, and it also teaches students how to present to businesses and how to find answers for themselves. The team communicates with businesses to receive partnerships that give them the funds to purchase parts for their car. The team helps students develop communication skills as well as leadership skills that they can use in other places in life. 
The Electrathon team has 16 members but unfortunately only two of them are girls. In todays society it is easy for woman to see engineering as a job only for men. Clubs such as the Electrathon try to reach out to woman to show the ways that woman can get involved in STEM jobs. 
“I think a lot of it is just getting outreach and showing that girls can do it that girls can be a part of an electric car team and that its not just for boys,” Edmondson the Electrathons coach said. 
Though the Electrathon is only open for Engineering Academy students, if you are interested in joining the program Laurie Gilson encourages you to go for it. 
“If you think you’re going to have fun then you will,” she said.
In a school with over 2,000 students it can be easy to overlook the many clubs and activities that go on to make Olathe Northwest so unique. The Electrathon is just one of the many opportunities for students to find their place at Olathe Northwest.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook