No Film School

10:26 PM



For this project I explored the website No Film School and found a video essay that described a topic I was interested in relative to my production role on set. In my classes feature film, I was the director of photography so I researched the DP behind Wes Anderson's most iconic films, Robert Yeoman.



Check out the video here: 
Cinematography of Wes Anderson

This video did a great job at analyzing Roberts style of cinematography by providing examples of him working on set as well as some of his most famous shots from the Grand Budapest Hotel. Robert Yeoman has worked with Wes Anderson for the majority of his projects and he has developed a very distinct style of work. Robert focuses on using symmetry, bright and colorful sets, camera movements, and wide lenses to create his vision through his work.

The style of cinematography commonly seen in Wes Anderson films is what I want to take into my own work. The creative use of wide lenses to shoot close ups and effectively using tracking shots to show movement can add a lot to my classes next feature film next year. I also want to use Wes Anderson's style of cinematography in making our shots more interesting. The video talked about how important it was for Robert Yeoman to establish every shot almost like a painting. Every item had a purpose and ever line provided symmetry and structure to the image. I hope to include more color to more effectively use the areas i'm working in in my projects so that it can reflect a more professional and unique style.

Overall, I greatly enjoy the artistic style of Wes Anderson's films and learning about how they are created from the DP helped me learn why certain decisions were made. I want to make my work reflect a similar style to Robert Yeoman and I believe I can accomplish this by studying more lighting tutorials as well as becoming more comfortable in creating tracking shots.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook